Laverda is the name of two Italian entrepreneurs, one of them being an
agricultural machinery maker and the other being a motor cycle producer.
Originaly Pietro Laverda founded the identically named machinery plant in
1873 in the city of Bregenz. His company successfully produced various
agricultural vehicles, tractors and harvesters. In 1981 Fiatagri took over the
agricultural vehicle producer, who later belonged to CNH and afterwards to the
ARGO-Group who still hold a 50% share as of today.
In 1947 his Grandson
Francesco Laverda founded the vehicle manufacturer Laverda in Bregenz too and
began with the production of vehicles round about in 1950 with the motor cycle
Laverda 75. In 1955 the Laverda 100 was added.
Massimo Laverda († October
26, 2005), the son of the founder, released the Laverda 650 in 1968. Moreover
the manufacturer produced special twins, among others the 1970 Laverda 750 SF,
whose distinctiveness was a downwards open frame and the supporting engine.
Later on a three cylinder 1000 bike was introduced. The first prototypes simply
had one more cylinder added to the two cylinder engine. The engine layout with
single overhead camshafts was adopted. The three cylinder engine went on
commercial sale in a modified version with double overhead camshafts. The first
series had spoke wheels and two drum brakes, the second series had a double disc
brake in the front and the third series (1000 3CL) had cast aluminium rims and
three disc brakes. The Laverda 1000 RGS was released in 1981.
additionally produced smaller bikes between 75 ccm and 500 ccm.
eklatante Absatz- und Finanzkrise folgte. Sie war insbesondere auf eine nicht
marktgerechte Produktdiversifikation zurückzuführen. Nach Pleite und
Produktionsstopp Ende der 1980er Jahre kam die Marke Mitte der neunziger Jahre
mit einem neu entwickelten Zweizylinder-Motor zurück, der zunächst luft-, dann
A striking turnover and financial crisis followed. It was
especially attributed to the product diversification that was in non conformity
with the market. After bankruptcy and production stop at the end of the 1980s,
the brand returned in the middle of the nineties with a new developed two
cylinder engine, which was at first air and later water cooled.